Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Freud's Defense Mechanisms

After reading Freud's defense mechanisms, I realized that I use sublimation. I suffer from a lot of anxiety, and to transfer my anxiety in a healthy way, I like to organize things. About once a month, I go into my dad's office and help him organize all of his work and papers so that everything is neat and easy to access. I also help the secretaries with the filing cabinets. In my life, I feel that I am not in control of a lot of things so here I get to be in control of organizing papers and making sure everything is perfect. It makes me feel better and it saves my dad and his secretaries a lot of work. Next, I found that altruistic surrender applies to my life as well. I have always wanted to travel to all different parts of the world, but I am afraid of flying. Ironically, I fly frequently throughout the year, but only to places up to 3 hours away. My grandma likes to travel too but is not "tech savvy" so I help her plan lots of her vacations and I taught her how to upload pictures from the digital camera I bought her, and how to e-mail them. This way, I am helping my grandma and I am vicariously living my dream of traveling to foreign places because I can see all of the pictures she takes. Also, my grandma brings a journal on each trip and writes down an account of what she does every day and she gives it to me as a gift when she comes home. Lastly, I use denial. Nobody's life is perfect, and I well know that mine isn't. Four years ago, I found out that my other grandmother had cancer. I was at my grandparents house sleeping over and I crept out of my room late at night and overheard my grandparents talking about it quietly in the kitchen. They said they didn't want to tell me yet because they knew that she would be 100% okay after her surgery, and they didn't want to worry me. Until they told me, I acted like I had never heard that conversation and I acted as if everything was ok because I didn't want to believe that my grandmother had cancer and more importantly, I didn't even know how I would've dealt with it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment